Sunday, October 16, 2011

August Underground



Plot Synopsis: Two serial killers go on a murdering rampage as one films the outcome from behind a video camera. One of the most realistically portrayed simulated snuff films ever made 

  Have you ever wanted to find a video tape made by a serial killer?  Have you ever wondered what a serial killer does while he's murdering someone?  If you could see all of this would you?  If you answered yes to any of these, or even no, you should check out August Underground.  It's a few years old, but has not only a rabid cult following, but a ton of controversy.

  August is shot completely POV.  It really is like watching a video tape directly from a killers camera.  Shakey, handheld, grainy, all very believable  It centers around two killers, who have no names.  Well I'm sure they do, they just don't give them.  It opens with our camera man on a farmhouse going into his buddy's basement to check out the girl he has tied up.  They cut off her nipple, and start shoving shit in her vagina.  As sick as this is, it is the best make up work I have ever seen, and I've seen more than I can count.  What makes this so believable is the quick cuts.  Not edits, no just cuts like we see a shot of our killer petting a dog, or clowning around for a few seconds.  This adds heavily to the realism, and sets a grim tone for whats to come.

The killing of a prostitute, murder of two guys from a tattoo parlor, a convenience store killing, and more, are what you are in store for.  I don't want to go into great detail, as I do in my other reviews because I don't want to give anything away.  Granted I just told you what your going to see, but you have to see this film to believe it.  And you will believe it.  No credits, no opening, no ending.  Just the start of a tape, and a cut out at the end.  Some people complained about that.  Those people are true idiots.  The point of this is to make it seem real.  It's not like a killer is going to go on his computer and make DVD menus of his killings, or even try to add plot.  Well maybe he would.  There are a lot of weirdos out there.

  Acting is top notch.  Like I said before make up is the best ever.  If you dig gore you would be disappointed.  If you want to fell slightly dirty you wont be disappointed either.  My only complaint is the amount of talking in the Convenience store scene.  It was slightly laughable, but maybe it was supposed to be.  Killers have a sense of humor too.  If you dont beleive me, my wife has a masters degree in Forensics Pathology, and she agreed it was the most realistic thing she has ever watched. 

  This is the 1st film in a trilogy.  I will review part 2 in the next few days.  I highly recommend this film.  Google it, it has a tone of controversy, some is justified, but at the end of the day it's only a movie.  A movie like no other, but a movie non the less.  You cant get this at Best Buy, or Walmart, but you can get it from Toe Tag Pictures.  Please take the time to check it out and support this company.  Most horror films now a day are remakes, or just flat out unoriginal.  These independent company's are our only hope for a new generation of horror films.  Help them out.  I did, and I recommend you do the same.  I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

Overall 4 out of 5 Stars!

Toe Tag Pictures site

No comments:

Post a Comment